Thursday 12 March 2015

Travel Thursday - Back to Ireland

I've missed the past week because winter has taken more of a toll on myself and my family than I would like, but hopefully we are on the road to recovery. Sometimes that road needs lots of happy thoughts, so my travel Thursday post is taking us back to Ireland, my happy place. Plus, with St. Patrick's Day next week, I couldn't ignore that.

I think I have mentioned before that my family lived in England for 2 years. Before we moved back to the United States in 2009, we were given the opportunity to spend a week in the southwest part of Ireland. We stayed in a lovely farmhouse in Schull, in County Cork. We got to revisit a lot of the places that my husband and I visited in 1999 and introduced the kids to places like the Blarney Castle and the Ring of Kerry.

The area around the Blarney Castle is so pretty and very fairytale like. I could spend so much more time that we were able to either time we went maybe looking for fairies or leprechauns. I know it's one of the big tourist places, but I can't keep myself from loving it and it's an easy place to get lost in your imagination there.




The Ring of Kerry looked very different from the first time we went. For anyone who gets to go, I hope it is a clear day when you go. The first time we went, the Ring was a big mass of fog and we could barely see in front of our car. We really didn't know what we were missing until we went back. We even questioned if we were actually in the same place. On the off-chance you do go and it's foggy, this is what it looks like on a beautiful sunny day.


I could go on and on about Ireland and share probably a hundred pictures, but I won't. I'll leave you with one more photo and an Irish blessing. This is a Celtic cross that was in a cemetery near where we were staying, so beautiful standing in an area that seemed to be falling to ruins.


May the road rise to meet you,
May the wind be always at your back,
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
The rains fall soft upon your fields and,
Until we meet again,
May God hold you in the palm of His hand.


Happy St. Patrick's Day, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment